Influence of Silambam Practices after Yogic Practices on Selected Physical Fitness Variables of College Students
- Silambam Practices,
- Yogic Practices,
- Muscular Strength endurance and Flexibility
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 KODEESWARAN N, MURUGAVEL K
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This study was designed to investigate the Influence of silambam practices after yogic practices on selected physical fitness variables of College Students. To achieve the purpose of the study 30 College Students from Bharathiar University Coimbatore district. Their age ranged from 20 to 25years. The subjects was randomly assigned to two equal groups. Group- I (n=15) underwent silambam practices after yogic practices (SPAYP) and Group – II (n=15) acted as control group (CG). The silambam practices after yogic practices was given to the experimental group for 3 days per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) for the period of eight weeks. The control group was not given any sort of training except their routine work. The physical fitness parameters muscular strength endurance (modified sit up test) and flexibility (tested at sit and reach test) were assessed before and after training period. The data collected from the subjects were statistically analyzed using ‘t’ test to find muscular strength endurance and flexibility speculated significant improvement due to silambam practices after yogic practices with the limitations of diet, climate, life style status and previous training. The results of the present study are in confirmatory with the findings of (Review). Thus it is concluded that silambam practices after yogic practices significantly improves Speed and flexibility of College Students.
- Selvam M Ganesh Babu T Influence of silambam practices and yogic practices on speed and flexibility among U-17 female sprinters. International Journal of Physical Education, Sports and health. 2016; 3(2): 136-139.
- Mohanavalli P, Sreedhar K, Jothy. Effect of silambam practice on body composition, and cardiovascular endurance among college girls. International Journal of Physical Education, Fitness and Sports. 2013; 2(4):2277-5447.
- David Manuel Raj J. Silambam:Technique & Evalation, (Master's (M P E) Degree, Thesis in Physical Education submitted to the Jiwaji University. Gwalior, India, 1967; p. 259.
- Rajkumar, M. (2016). Effect of Yogic Practices and Proprioceptive Training on Selected Physical Variables Among Inter Collegiate Volleyball Players. Star International Journal, 4,4(5),18-21.
- Heyward VH. Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription, Human Kinetics publication, Champaign, 2006.
- Arunachalam A. Thenpandaya thamizhyarin silambam varalaruim, Adimuraikalam 1995; 1:9.
- Kurland Zack. Morning Yoga workouts, Human Kinetics publication. Champaign, 2007.
- Sosamma John et al. Yoga Practices Weight Training and Iron Yoga on Strength, Speed, Flexibility and Vital Capacity among College Softball Players, Voice of Sports. Research Journal on Physical Education and Sports. University of Calicut, 2011.
- Twemlow SW, Lerma BH, Twemlow SW. An analysis of students reasons for studying martial arts, Percept Mot Skills 1996; 83(1):99-103.